My Blog List

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Girl Walk


Today, while walking on campus, I came to the realization that there are a handful of different walks that girls have on campus. 

First, I want to say that I am not trying to be mean or offend anybody. This is meant to be fun and I am just posting some observations.

Now let’s get down to business.

1.       The “I think I look good” walk:
 This walk is seems to be associated with dorm room girls. These are usually the underclassman girls. This walk involves the girl walking fairly slowly but she has the posture that says “hey, look at me, I think I look good”. From what I have seen, the “I look good part” is fairly accurate depending on the situation. I can only describe this as being light on your feet but seemingly putting a lot of pressure on your toes.

2.       The foreign student walk:
This walk is more often than not, the walk most used by foreign students. The occurrence of this walk happens often in pairs. This is when two or more students are walking and talking together, in their native language. They are usually hunched over a bit and whispering into each others’ ears. I can only assume they are sweet nothings . What makes this unique is the fact that it slows the pace of everybody behind them. This is the slowest walk.
3.       The Nerd walk:
This walk may be the most popular. The participants in this walk have backpacks on almost all the time. They also seem to be faster paced than other walks. This can be attributed to the fact that they don’t want to be late to class. Girls being hunched over is also common amongst these walkers. This is due to every book being in the aforementioned backpack. Another popular place to find these girls are the sidewalks directly leading to the library.

4.       The Cowgirl walk:

Maybe this is only in Manhattan, but this walk involves the use of cowboy boots. Not stylish cowboy boots, but practical boots. By appearances only, you can find these girls because they are the ones with jeans over the cowboy boots. Personally I feel this is not a good look. But to each their own, I suppose. Girls participating in this walk are often on the slower side and tend to walk very heavy. Another tell-tale sign of this is the ole heel to toe walking pattern.  

5.       The “my friends need to walk faster” walk:

This one is kind of a rare one. I believe this one can be found near sorority houses. From my experiences, this one involves at least three girls. Two are popular sorority girls who walk at a normal, to slow pace. The other chick is usually a quiet and shy girl (who can be found in the Nerd walk category as well), but is in the sorority nonetheless. This girl is one who any innocent bystander would never guess that she is in a sorority. You can tell that while wanting to fit in, her two friends are just not walking fast enough. She doesn’t have much input into the conversation that her two friends are having, but she would rather be seen with her friends rather than walk by herself. 

6.       The Athlete walk:

This walk is gender neutral. Guys and girls both are responsible for this walk. It’s pretty basic. Sweats. Headphones. Cell phone in hands. Head down looking at phone. Feet dragging a little bit. The sweats are more than likely associated with that particular school.

Now, this list doesn’t include every girl walk, and more can be discovered, but I feel like it adequately represents a large portion of the female population at any given school. So next time you are walking on campus, or in schools, look for these walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment