My Blog List

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Downtown KC

Today the cleaning lady came to our house. Due to the fact that I didn't want to stay home while she was cleaning, I had to leave the house. One problem. I had no idea where I was going to go.

Last summer, while reading an article about something (not sure what it was), I came across and article about a French restaurant called Chez Elle. It is in the Strawberry Hill district of Kansas City, Missouri on the southwest side of downtown. It serves absolutely decadent crepes. Today I had a chocolate crepe with chocolate mousse and raspberry sauce. It was a very delicious breakfast. Now on to the point of this post.

I have an odd obsession with tall buildings. Its something that intrigues me. I am very comfortable in any downtown setting and find that my most enjoyable travel moments are when I spend a decent amount of time in a downtown area. There is just something that makes me feel comfortable in that kind of environment.

In 2008, my parents took me to New York City for four days. I had the time of my life. To me, there is something magical about being surrounded by tall buildings all around and there is no place on Earth like New York City. In 2009, My family and I went on a trip to Chicago for about ten days and stayed at a hotel in the heart of downtown. I can tell you that there is nothing like the smell of downtown Chicago. It is one of the best smells I can think of. It is indescribable and last year in Manhattan, Kansas that same smell drifted onto campus. All I wanted to do was to waft in the scent and embrace it for as long as possible.

This brings me to downtown Kansas City. I was born and raised in the northland of Kansas City, Missouri and I have spent a decent amount of time in downtown due to concerts and shows at Bartle Hall. Although Kansas City is a smaller urban area when compared to Chicago and New York City, it is still a spectacular environment for me. One of my dreams is to spend a long amount of time in a place like urban KC. Living in a loft or apartment and living the city life I see on television all the time is something I truly hope I can experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment